Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)
Starring: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Ethan Hawke, Albert Finney, Marisa Tomei, Rosemary Harris
Directed by: Sidney Lumet
( Collapse )
Since Assault on Precinct 13 is the only 2005 movie currently reviewed here, I'll use that as an excuse to do a Top Five for the former Mr. Thurman himself. He's made a lot of arty films that no one (including me) ever saw, yet he's still a fairly big name. Strange. Me, I've only seen six movies of his, but the right six. Enough to do the list anyway. Along with Assault, other notable Hawke movies I haven't seen include Taking Lives, Tape, Hamlet, Snow Falling on Cedars, The Newton Boys, Gattaca, Alive, and White Fang.
5. Dead Poets Society (my young Ethan Hawke entry to the list. Ah, little Todd Anderson. You're so brave at the end of the movie)
4. Reality Bites (I think this movie is the reason why Ethan Hawke is famous. Troy Dyer is Mr. Gen X)
3. Training Day (Denzel got all the attention in this one, and his performance was top notch, but Hawke should also get props, since his was the harder role. Denzel got to go all out, Hawke had to do the heavy lifting in the movie)
2. Before Sunrise (one of my favourite movies, but it gets bumped to number two for no other reason then it was made in the Ethan Hawke's too-cool-for-school-Mr.-Gen-X days)
1. Before Sunset (whereas for the sequel ten years later, he has a harder job and larger transformation to make. Plus, he got an Oscar nomination for the screenplay. I feel like I'm running a small nursery with someone I used to date)
Okay, I have to go now and watch Before Sunset again.
Starring: Ethan Hawke, Julie DelpyDirected by: Richard Linklater
( Collapse )